Total valid votes: 2,115,163
Postal ballots counted: 2,129,544
Proxies issued: 7,283
Rejected ballots: 62,288
Table of detailed results
|Party/description||Number of votes||Percentage of votes||Seats won||Elected members|
|British National Party||134,959||6.4|
|Conservative Party||509,446||24.1||3||The Rt Hon Sir Robert James Atkins ,Densmore Ronald Dover, David Anthony Gerald Sumberg|
|Countryside Party (The)||11,283||0.5|
|English Democrats Party||34,110||1.6|
|Labour Party||576,388||27.3||3||Arlene McCarthy, Gary Titley, Terry Wynn|
|Liberal Democrats||335,063||15.8||2||Chris Davies, Sajjad Haider Karim|
|Respect - The Unity Coalition||24,636||1.2|
|UK Independence Party||257,158||12.2||1||John Whittaker|
|Independent - Ronald Alan Neal||8,318||0.4|
See results for your constituency
- Electorate: The number of electors eligible to vote at this election.
- Valid votes: The total number of valid votes cast.
- Postal votes counted: The total number of postal votes which went forward to the count after postal ballot verification.
- Proxies issued: The total number of electors who appointed proxies to vote on their behalf.
- Rejected ballot: The number of ballot papers which was declared invalid for one or more of the following reasons:
- the ballot paper did not contain the official mark
- where the voter had voted for more than the specified number of candidates
- where the ballot paper contained writing or a mark by which the voter could be identified
- where the ballot paper was unmarked or where it was unclear what the voter had intended
- (A ballot paper may also be rejected in part).