The Electoral Commission

The independent body which oversees elections and regulates political finance in the UK

Section menu

Can I still vote if I move overseas?

British citizens living abroad can vote in UK Parliamentary and European Parliamentary elections but cannot vote in local elections or elections to devolved bodies such as the Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales or Greater London Authority.

British citizens living abroad for more than 15 years are not eligible to register to vote in UK elections.

If you are not sure if you are already registered, contact your local electoral registration office.

You can still register now for other future elections.

In England , Scotland or Wales , you can register to vote online at

In Northern Ireland , visit our Register to vote in Northern Ireland page to download a registration form.

For further information, you should contact your local electoral registration office. You can find the contact details on – just enter your postcode for the correct office.