Past elections & referendums
In this area you can find a range of information about past elections and referendums in the UK.
This information includes:
- results of elections and referendums
- guidance that we issued for those involved in the polls
- information that we provided to voters in the run-up to the polls
The final national totals for the EU Referendum have been declared:
Remain – 16,141,241
Leave – 17,410,742
Find out about recent elections
May 2015 polls well-run with high levels of voter satisfaction
In our report on the May 2015 polls, we found that nine in ten people surveyed said the polls were well run.
We have made a number of recommendations, following lessons learned from the UK general election, including that the registration system should meet voters’ expectations following the successful introduction of online registration by also letting voters check if they are registered online.
- Find out more in our report on the May 2015 polls (PDF)
- View details of our public opinion research
- Read our report on campaign spending for the 2015 UK general election (PDF)
Our report on the Scottish independence referendum
The Scottish independence referendum was well run, with high levels of voter satisfaction in the voting process.
Our reports identify important lessons from Scotland about how to run future referendums successfully, including the expected referendum on further devolution in Wales and a possible referendum on UK membership of the European Union.