Observing elections and referendums
One of our roles is to authorise people and organisations to observe UK elections and relevant referendums. On this page you will find:
- the Code of Practice all observers must follow
- information on how to apply to become an observer and application forms
- the registers of accredited observers, organisations and authorised Commission representatives
We also issue:
- guidance to electoral officers on giving access to observers
- guidance to our own staff who observe elections and referendums on behalf of the Electoral Commission
Elections to the Northern Ireland Assembly will be held on Thursday 2 March 2017.
If you would like to observe at these elections, you must submit your completed application and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on Tuesday 21 February 2017.
Code of Practice for observers
Before applying to become an observer you must read our Code of Practice for observers.
All applicants must sign a declaration on their application form that says they have read and understood the Code of Practice.
How to apply
Organisations and individuals over the age of 16 with an interest in observing elections or referendums can apply to us for accreditation.
Please note that even though we authorise observers, they do not observe on our behalf, or receive any payment.
For your application to be successful, you need to send us the following:
- an application form for individuals (DOC) or an application form for organisations (DOC)
- a photograph of yourself
- a legible copy of either your passport, driver's licence, national identity card or Northern Ireland electoral identity card that confirms your name and age
Please email your application and supporting documents to email@example.com.
Please allow at least ten days for us to process your application. Please do not wait until an election/referendum is imminent as accreditation will not come into effect until three days after we issue your observer ID card.
We maintain the following registers: