You are party A and enter a pact with Party B, you announce it and then campaign

If you enter an election pact and then campaign either for the candidate or party that is standing the candidate, there will be implications for reporting spending and donations.

In the first instance the candidate's agent should consider whether any of your spending is used by the candidate in his or her campaign. If so this will be notional spending and must appear in the candidate return. 

This is likely where you are working with the candidate on their campaign. 

It is also possible that you could be incurring notional spending on behalf of the party that is standing the candidate. This will be the case where you are working closely with the other party and promoting them in your material. 

In some circumstances the spending on campaigning by you will be non-party campaigner spending.

This is likely where your spending is not used by the candidate or party that is standing, for example you do not tell them about it. 

Where you campaign for or against a candidate or advise your supporters to do so, then depending on how that occurs, the local non-party campaigning rules may apply to your spending. This is limited to £700 at a UKPGE.

When this kind of activity happens across several constituencies or your campaigning is focused on party B, it is likely to engage the general non-party campaigner rules. You will need to consider registering with us. If you register with us you will need to report your spending in separate return from your party return. 

Last updated: 24 May 2021