The Electoral Commission

The independent body which oversees elections and regulates political finance in the UK

Section menu

I am a student living away from home. Where can I register to vote?

A student who has a permanent home address and a term-time address can be registered at both addresses. If they are registered to vote in two different electoral areas, they are eligible to vote in local elections for the two different local councils. However, it is an offence to vote twice in any one election. Such an offence could result in a fine of up to £5,000.