The Electoral Commission

The independent body which oversees elections and regulates political finance in the UK

Section menu

What registration provisions exist for Crown Servants and service personnel?

Crown Servants (such as diplomatic service, overseas civil service), British Council employees and members of the Armed Forces who are posted overseas can vote in all elections.

If you are not sure if you are already registered, contact your local electoral registration office.

If you want to register to vote in England, Scotland or Wales, you can register online any time at

You can then choose to vote by post or by proxy (someone voting on your behalf). Postal votes may only be sent out a week before the election. You will need to consider whether this gives you enough time to complete and return your postal ballot papers in time. It may be better to appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf.

For information on registering in Northern Ireland, visit the website of the Electoral Office of Northern Ireland.