Who is eligible to vote at a local government election?
To vote in a local government election a person must be:
- registered to vote
- 18 or over in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, or 16 or over in Scotland
and also be one of the following:
- a British citizen living in the UK
- a qualifying Commonwealth citizen living in the UK
- a citizen of the Republic of Ireland living in the UK
- a European Union citizen living in the UK
- someone registered to vote as a Crown Servant
- someone registered to vote as a service voter
A British citizen living abroad who is registered as an overseas elector cannot vote in local government elections.
If you are not sure if you are already registered, contact your local electoral registration office.
You can still register now for other future elections.
You can register to vote online at gov.uk/register-to-vote.