The Electoral Commission

The independent body which oversees elections and regulates political finance in the UK

Section menu

Mayoral elections in England

Polling stations for mayoral elections that took place on Thursday 4 May are now closed.

Where are mayoral elections taking place?

Combined area mayoral elections are taking place in the following areas:

  • Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
  • Greater Manchester
  • Liverpool City Region
  • Tees Valley
  • West Midlands
  • West of England

Mayoral elections are also taking place in Doncaster and North Tyneside.

Candidates and agents

We issue full guidance to individuals planning to stand at mayoral elections and their election agents. This guidance covers:

  • the qualifications and disqualifications for standing for election
  • how to stand for election
  • how much you can spend
  • the rules on candidate spending
  • the rules on donations
  • campaigning dos and don'ts
  • what you can expect to see at a number of electoral proceedings
  • what happens after the elections

Different guidance is available depending on what type of election you are standing at.

View our guidance for candidates and agents at combined authority mayoral elections

View our guidance for candidates and agents at local authority mayoral elections

If you have any questions about the non-financial aspects of our guidance, please contact your local Commission office.

If your question is about spending or donations, please contact us on 0333 103 1928 or at

Electoral administrators

Our guidance for those running mayoral elections covers:

  • the role and responsibilities of the Returning Officer
  • planning and organisation
  • administering the poll
  • administering absent voting
  • verifying and counting the votes
  • what happens after the election

Our guidance for administrators covers both local government elections and mayoral elections.

View our guidance for electoral administrators running mayoral elections

If you have any questions about the guidance, contact your local Commission office.

Elections & referendums