UK general election 2017
On this page you can find out about the UK Parliamentary general election taking place on Thursday 8 June 2017.
Here you can find information for:
Voters living in the UK
The deadline to register to vote was Monday 22 May. It is now too late to register to vote at the UK general election on 8 June.
If you registered to vote before the deadline, your local electoral registration office will contact you to let you know when you are registered or if they have any questions.
Voters living overseas
The deadline to register as an overseas voter for the UK general election on Thursday 8 June has now passed. If you didn’t register and were not already registered, it is now too late.
If you were already registered and have been asked to renew your registration and haven’t yet done so, make sure you renew as soon as possible or you may not be able to vote.
If you have registered as an overseas voter but haven’t yet applied for a proxy vote (where you can nominate someone in the UK to vote on your behalf), you should do this now
Candidates and agents
We provide full guidance to individuals standing at the UK general election and their election agents. This guidance covers:
- the qualifications and disqualifications for standing for election
- how to stand for election
- how much you can spend
- the rules on candidate spending
- the rules on donations
- campaigning dos and don'ts
- what you can expect to see at a number of electoral proceedings
- what happens after the elections
If you have any questions about the non-financial aspects of our guidance, please contact your local Commission office.
If your question is about spending or donations, please contact us on 0333 103 1928 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our guidance for administrators covers:
- the role and responsibilities of the Returning Officer
- planning and organisation
- administering the poll
- administering absent voting
- verifying and counting the votes
- what happens after the election
If you have any questions about the guidance, contact your local Commission office.