Referendum question testing
We are required by law to comment on the intelligibility of UK, national and regional referendum questions, and some local government referendum questions.
We carry out research, including testing the questions with the public, to assess proposed referendum questions.
Below you can find our reports on proposed referendum questions:
- Referendum of the membership of the European Union – question testing - respondents to public consultation – September 2015 (XLS)
- Referendum on the membership of the European Union – September 2015 (PDF)
- Referendum on the membership of the European Union: Further question testing – April 2014 (PDF)
- Referendum on the membership of the European Union – October 2013 (PDF)
- Referendum on independence for Scotland – January 2013 (PDF)
- Local authority council tax referendums – December 2011 (PDF)
- Local authority governance referendums – October 2011 (PDF)
- Neighbourhood planning referendums – March 2011 (PDF)
- UK Parliamentary voting system referendum – September 2010 (PDF)
- Powers of the National Assembly for Wales – August 2010 (PDF)