Running electoral registration - Scotland

How to make a new application to register as an overseas elector (Pre commencement of Elections Act measures)

Individuals can make a new application to register as an overseas elector:

  • online via the central government website -
  • by providing the necessary information in writing (e.g. on a paper form)
  • by telephone (if you offer the service)

Online applications

Overseas electors may apply through the register to vote website.

The register to vote website allows applications to register as an ordinary elector to be made by those aged 14 years old or over. However, only those aged 16 years old or over may apply through the register to vote website as special category electors.

Paper applications

You must use the special category elector registration forms approved by the Minister for The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities and made available by the Commission on our website. The prescribed forms include a data protection statement and the prescribed description of the electoral and open registers.

Telephone applications

For the benefit and convenience of electors, you should offer this service wherever possible. This will also help you meet your duties under the Equalities Act 2010,  as people who may have difficulties completing the paper or online form will have the opportunity to apply without the need to provide the information in writing.

If you are unable to provide telephone registration for all, you may allow these at your discretion in certain circumstances, and you should do so to assist applicants with disabilities in order to meet equalities obligations.

Last updated: 14 December 2023