On this page you will find information about our Wales office and the work we do in Wales.
Our remit includes all elections to the National Assembly for Wales, European and UK Parliamentary and local government elections.
One of our aims is to ensure that the views of Welsh stakeholders contribute to all aspects of our work. This ensures that distinctive Welsh procedures and practices are taken into account and reflected in Commission-wide activities.
We act as a reference point for people in Wales. We are available to answer enquiries and requests for advice from the public and relevant organisations on electoral matters.
We also arrange and support a number of key stakeholder groups. These are:
- Wales Assembly Parties Panel
- Wales Electoral Coordination Board
- Wales Electoral Practitioners Working Group
- Welsh Language Legislation Advisory Group
Assembly Parties Panel (APP)
The Assembly Parties Panel is made up of
- non-elected party officials, from each of the registered political parties that have representation in the current Assembly
- the Electoral Commissioner with special responsibility for Wales
- the Chair/ Vice-Chair of AEA Wales.
The Panel is a forum to share information and discuss electoral matters in relation to Wales.
View minutes of Assembly Parties Panel meetings:
- Minutes from 2 December 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes from 15 September 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes from 27 May 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes from 21 January 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes from 10 December 2015 (PDF)
- Minutes from 8 September 2015 (PDF)
- Minutes from 12 June 2015 (PDF)
- Minutes from 3 February 2015 (PDF)
- Minutes from 9 December 2014 (PDF)
- Minutes from 14 October 2014 (PDF)
- Minutes from 17 June 2014 (PDF)
- Minutes from 11 February 2014 (PDF)
- Minutes from 12 February 2012 (PDF)
- Minutes from 12 June 2012 (PDF)
- Minutes from 10 December 2012 (PDF)
- minutes from 12 February 2009 (PDF)
- minutes from 12 February 2009 (PDF) (Welsh)
- minutes from 16 June 2009 (PDF)
- minutes from 16 June 2009 (PDF) (Welsh)
- minutes from 12 October 2009 (PDF)
- minutes from 9 January 2008 (PDF)
- minutes from 9 January 2008 (PDF) (Welsh)
- minutes from 20 March 2008 (PDF)
- minutes from 20 March 2008 (PDF) (Welsh)
- minutes from 9 May 2008 (PDF)
- minutes from 9 May 2008 (PDF) (Welsh)
- minutes from 13 October 2008 (PDF)
- minutes from 13 October 2008 (PDF) (Welsh)
Wales Electoral Coordination Board (WECB)
The Wales Electoral Coordination Board was set up as a result of our report on the National Assembly for Wales elections in 2016. The Board co-ordinates the planning of all-Wales electoral events, activity, electoral modernisation and reform and helps collaboration between Returning Officers, Electoral Registration Officers and key partners in Wales.
View minutes of Wales Electoral Coordination Board meetings:
- 5 March 2018 Meeting (PDF)
- 9 November 2017 Meeting (PDF)
- 21 July 2017 Meeting (PDF)
- 17 Feb 2017 Meeting (PDF)
RO/ERO Mentoring scheme
The WECB recently identified the need to support returning officers (ROs) and electoral registration officers (EROs) who are new to their roles and have developed an induction and mentoring scheme for them to offer support and resources.
From now on, newly appointed ROs/EROs will be contacted by the WECB and the Electoral Commission in Wales and will be assigned a mentor who will be an experienced Welsh Returning Officer and able to offer them practical advice and support as required. They will also receive a guide explaining their roles and responsibilities with regard to running electoral registration and administering elections which will include links to guidance, key contacts, training opportunities and supporting groups.
Wales Electoral Practitioners Working Group (WEPWG)
The Wales Electoral Practitioners Working Group brings together officials from the Electoral Commission, Wales and Regional Representatives of the Association of Electoral Administrators in Wales. The group discusses delivery of elections and electoral registration in Wales and shares information and experiences.
Minutes for past meetings are below:
- 28 March 2018 (PDF)
- 12 December 2017 Meeting (PDF)
- 15 September 2017 Meeting (PDF)
- 29 June 2017 Meeting (PDF)
Welsh Language Legislation Advisory Group (WLLAG)
The Welsh Language Legislation Advisory Group was set up as a result of our report on the National Assembly for Wales elections in 2016. The group looks at Welsh language legislation to ensure that it is fit for purpose, correct and up to date.
Minutes for past meetings are below:
The Electoral Glossary
We have created a database of electoral terms on behalf of WLLAG. The glossary is the result of working with many partners over a six month period and will be reviewed annually. If you have any comments or suggestions for additions, please contact Sioned Wyn, Welsh Language Advisor.
Welsh Language Standards
We are committed to the provision of a bilingual service in Wales.
The Electoral Commission
Tel: 0333 103 1929
Fax: 029 2038 0996