We are an independent body set up by the UK Parliament.
We are an independent body set up by the UK Parliament. We regulate party and election finance and set standards for well-run elections. We work to support a healthy democracy, where elections and referendums are based on our principles of trust, participation, and no undue influence.
- register political parties
- make sure people understand and follow the rules on party and election finance
- publish details of where parties and candidates get money from and how they spend it
- set the standards for electoral registration and running elections and report on how well this is done
- make sure people understand that it is important to register to vote, and know how to vote
- run any referendums held in accordance with the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000
Who we are and what we do
We have published our 'Who we are' leaflet for the coming year. It contains our mission statement, our principles and objectives, and a short section on our focus for 2012-13. We will update it as priorities change and key events evolve.