Candidates and agents at local government elections in Northern Ireland
Guidance and resources on how to comply with the rules on spending for candidates and agents at the local Government elections on 2 May 2019 in Northern Ireland
If you are looking for guidance on standing for election in Northern Ireland please visit the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland website.
Updated on 14 March 2019
This guidance has been changed since it was originally published in December 2018. This is to reflect two changes in the law which came into force on 14 March 2019.
- Expenses which are reasonably attributable to a candidate’s disability are now exempt from the spending rules.
- Personal expenses now do not count towards the spending limit. However personal expenses still have to be reported after the election.
The guidance now reflects these changes.
Pre-election seminars: Local Council elections 2 May 2019
We are running three pre-election seminars for candidates and their agents taking part in the Local Council elections on 2 May 2019, in partnership with the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland and Royal Mail.
The seminars provide an opportunity to gain essential information on what is required to take part in the elections, including information on:
- how to get nominated as a candidate
- what your entitlements are as a candidate
- how much you can spend and who you can accept donations from
- what you need to report after the election
- election literature and freepost
The seminars will take place on:
- Monday 11 March 2019 in the Armagh City Hotel, 2 Friary Road, Armagh BT60 4FR at 6.30pm
- Wednesday 13 March 2019 in the Belfast City Hall at 6:30pm
- Wednesday 20 March 2019 in the Adair Suite at the Glenavon House Hotel, Cookstown, BT80 8QS at 6.30 pm
Candidate spending at the Northern Ireland local government elections 2019
This part covers:
- The types of election spending
- The regulated period
- What candidate spending is
- Managing candidate spending
- Splitting candidate spending
- Recording and reporting spending