Guidance and resources on how to comply with the rules on spending and donations for candidates and agents at the Northern Ireland Assembly election on Thursday 5 May 2022
We have produced a document for people who want to know the basics about elections, the roles of different organisations and where to find more information.
Guidance on standing for election
If you are looking for guidance on standing for election in Northern Ireland please visit the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland website.
Notional spending update Elections Act
Under the Elections Act 2022, two changes have been made to the legislation on candidate spending rules:
- Definition of ‘use on behalf a candidate’ in notional spending
- Making payments for local campaigning
The changes came into force on 24 November 2022. For more details, please see Understanding changes to the spending rules.
Candidate spending at a Northern Ireland Assembly election
This part covers:
- The types of election spending
- The regulated period
- What candidate spending is
- Managing candidate spending
- Splitting candidate spending
- Recording and reporting spending