Who can register as a Crown servant

You can register as a Crown servant voter if you are likely to be posted abroad as:

  • a Crown servant (for example diplomatic or overseas civil service)
  • a British Council employee
  • the spouse or civil partner of a Crown servant or British Council employee

Register to vote

You can register as a Crown servant online.

You’ll need your National Insurance number, if you have one. You’ll also need your payroll or staff ID number (usually found on your payslip).

Register to vote as a Crown servant

Casting your vote

Voting by proxy 

If you're abroad or can't vote in person, you can apply to vote by proxy (someone voting on your behalf).

Apply for a proxy vote

Voting by post

Postal votes may only be sent out about a week before election day. If you are living abroad, it may be better to appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf as there may not be enough time for your postal vote to reach you and be sent back before voting closes.

Apply for a postal vote

Last updated: 16 April 2020
Next review: 21 November 2020