Running electoral registration - Scotland

Processing a change to an elector’s name

An existing elector can apply to change their name on the register:

  • by submitting a change of name request1  
  • by making a new application to register (except for overseas electors)

If the elector submits a change of name request they must do so using the form approved by the Minister for the The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities in consultation with the Scottish Minister1  and made available by the Commission. This is available on our registration forms and letters webpage

The request must be in writing and include:2   

  • the applicant’s full name
  • the full name under which they are currently registered 
  • the date of the change of name 
  • the registration address 
  • a declaration by the applicant that the information provided in the application is true
  • the date of the application
  • documentary evidence in support of the change

If a person is unable to provide suitable documentary evidence they must provide their date of birth and National Insurance number as part of their application. If they are not able to provide their date of birth or National Insurance number, they must provide the reason why they are not able to do so.3   

There is no requirement for applicants under 16 years old to provide their National Insurance number or give a reason why they cannot do so.4

Last updated: 26 February 2024