Running electoral registration - England

How to make a new application to register as an overseas elector

Individuals can make a new application to register as an overseas elector:

  • online via the central government website - 
  • by providing the necessary information in writing (e.g. on a paper form)
  • telephone (if you offer the service)

Online applications

The online application portal is hosted on GOV.UK. If you have an email address for a potential elector you could, in the first instance, use it to encourage them to submit an online application or issue an application by electronic means.

Existing overseas electors who are renewing their registration can provide their declaration in any format, so a letter, email or paper application form are acceptable.1 Our guidance on the renewals process for existing overseas electors has more information on this.

Paper applications

We produce printable overseas elector application forms which you can use. They are published on our website and on GOV.UK. We also provide versions of the forms in a range of accessible formats, such as large print and easy read.

Telephone applications

For the benefit and convenience of electors, you should offer this service wherever possible. This will also help you meet your duties under the Equalities Act 2010, as people who may have difficulties completing a paper or online application will have the opportunity to apply without the need to provide the information in writing.

If you are unable to provide telephone applications for all, you may allow these at your discretion in certain circumstances, and you should do so to assist disabled applicants in order to help as many electors as possible register to vote and to meet equalities obligations.

Diweddarwyd ddiwethaf: 13 Rhagfyr 2023